Reclaimed wood accents and sustainable design are top trends this year. One of the most popular projects is creating a reclaimed wood wall to bring warmth, personality, and texture to any room. But does it make more sense to try to build your own wall from a pallet or buy pre-made panels from a reputable source? Let’s compare the two methods.
HERE ARE THE BASIC STEPS TO MAKING A PALLET WALL:
1. Prepare and clean your wall. If you’re a renter, consider how you’ll take down the wall when it’s time to move and if your installation method will damage the wall underneath.
2. Pre-paint the wood panels to hide uneven gaps—and there will be lots!
3. Clean the pallets so they’re safe for indoor use. This will require a thorough scrubbing and be sure to determine if the wood you’re using has been treated with any chemicals or finishes that may be toxic.
4. Level and mount the pallets. You’ll need a compressor, a contractor-quality nail gun, and a saw—preferably a table saw if you want a completely level wall.
5. Stain or paint the wood panels for a cleaner, more finished looking wall.
This totally DIY project will take about two days and cost anywhere from $300-$900, depending on your skill level and access to the tools listed.
FOR COMPARISON, HERE'S HOW TO CREATE YOUR WALL USING RECLAIM ARBOR'S PEEL-AND-STICK 100% RECYLED WOOD PANELS:
1. Choose panels from four different finishes—white wash, slate, natural, and charcoal—in three different widths. Order non-adhesive or peel-and-stick adhesive. Our panels are precision-milled, pre-cleaned, and treated with environmentally finishes and non-VOC paint, so they’re ready to install and safe for indoor spaces.
2. Wipe down wall to remove dust. Our adhesive works best on clean, smooth, even surfaces. Reclaim Arbor panels are removable on premium finishes. They’re easy to uninstall and won’t damage the wall underneath.2. Wipe down wall to remove dust. Our adhesive works best on clean, smooth, even surfaces. Reclaim Arbor panels are removable on premium finishes. They’re easy to uninstall and won’t damage the wall underneath.
3. Measure the space and make cuts to your panels as necessary with a box cutter.
4. Peel off and press.4. Peel off and press.
This partially DIY wall takes about 2-4 hours to install and costs an average of $111 for a 91 square foot wall.
WANT AN EVEN EASIER INSTALLATION
Want an even easier installation? Reclaim Arbor is now offering an all new, zero commitment install with 3M Command Strips. Simply order the color and size of the panels you want. Use 3M command strips to attach panels to your wall, allowing you to check out how it looks prior to committing to the stronger peel-and-stick adhesive.
If you don’t like the look, simply remove the 3M strips and panels. Be sure to send them back within 30 days.
to see just how easy and affordable it is to create your own look with our 100% reclaimed wood panels.